Virtualmin backups have many features, and here are the current destination options:
- Local folder
- Amazon S3
- Download link
We will add native support for Syncthing in Virtualmin, which will permit things that none of the current options can do.
|Criteria||local folder||FTP||SSH||Webmin||Amazon S3||Rackpace||Download link||Syncthing (partially developed already)|
|Data sovereignty (does not require external service)||yes||yes||yes||yes||no||no||yes||yes|
|Automatic / Unattended||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes||no||yes|
|Devices can be behind the firewall, and without a fixed IP address||n/a||no||no||no||n/a||n/a||yes, manually||yes, to your laptop or an Android|
|P2P / multiple (each node can sync with the others, which is different than setting up multiple destinations)||no||no||no||no||depends on provider||depends on provider||no||yes|
|Only send new or modified files||n/a||no||no (unless rsync)||?||?||?||n/a||yes|
|Cold storage / asynchronous (machine can be turned on/off anytime, and it just gets data when machine is online)||n/a||no||no||?||n/a||n/a||n/a||yes|
|Data is encrypted in transport||n/ a||If FTPS||yes||yes?||yes?||yes?||yes, with Virtualmin HTTPS||yes|
|Throttling: Can set Incoming and Outgoing Rate Limit (KiB/s)||n/ a||?||?||?||?||?||no||yes|
To be added to the chart
- Syncthing (if configured that way) can also receive data. So it can be a way to send back a backup or other data.
- Protection against crypto-locker attack, as explained here
- Syncthing can sync data with an untrusted node by encrypting the data. So one of the nodes can be a rented server with a lof of disk space.
Status as of 2023-03-07
- Within the WikiSuite installer, a Syncthing installer is provided.
- Once Syncthing is installed for a Virtual Server, you need to set up automated backups to a directory and use that directory for Syncthing
This all works but we want to make it easier
- Spin out a Syncthing for Virtualmin app that is totally independant from WikiSuite. So you can install on any Virtualmin instance
- When the app is installed, add Syncthing as an option directly along SSH, FTP, Amazon S3, etc.