This is an attempt to propose an optimal standard subdomain name pattern for WikiSuite users. This should cover the server-side of WikiSuite (of course), but also the gateway use case.
- A predictable recipe we can all use
- For new users not to be worried of having done it wrong
- Use this for scripting projects like the WikiSuite Orchestrator
- Permit to move some services to different servers if needed later (WikiSuite is designed to run on one server by default which is fine at the beginning)
- Offer a predictable setup for all websites on a ClearOS server (the default website stores things differently than the others)
- Make it easy to create clones and test upgrades via https://doc.tiki.org/TRIM
- Use standards to help automatically detect / configure apps.
server.example.org:81 : ClearOS admin panel and default web site (which will have nothing) and is what is shown if server is visited via IP address.
Why not use example.org:81? This permits to set up a new ClearOS server without affecting an existing website (ex.: if you already have a running site, and you want to set all this up in parallel, and migrate the website once everything is tested)
In fact, since port 81 can sometimes be blocked, we'd want management.server.example.org as an alternative to server.example.org:81
|What||domain name||where files are stored|
|Tiki Manager||manager.example.org||see docs|
|test upgrade||next.example.org||/var/www/virtual/next.example.org/html/||data from prod, code from trunk|
|staging||staging.example.org||/var/www/virtual/staging.example.org/html/||data from prod, code from tip of branch|
|Backup of a week ago||oneweekago.example.org||/var/www/virtual/oneweekago.example.org/html/||exact copy from 7 days ago|
|Ad hoc copy||20170431-11h55.example.org||/var/www/virtual/20170431-11h55.example.org/||on demand exact copy|
todo :mail / MX: example.org